Monday, August 29, 2011

Sympathy is next to apathy...

I've always prided myself on being a rather sympathetic person. I'd like to think I'm a good listener, and that I am genuine in my empathy.

In short, I've never had to fake caring about others. I just generally do.

However, lately I've found myself generally NOT caring. It's a bit troubling.

I wonder if it's because I feel my own pain so strongly for the first time, that I cannot muster so much as a simple smile of understanding to another's pain.

It's hard to look into someone's eyes and show genuine concern over some end of the world crisis they may be experiencing, when all I can see is a trivial affair that does not affect me.

How can I feel sympathy for someone that broke their iPhone, or missed out on a great sale, or is having problems with a significant other, when I'm worried about my own survival?

I know I'm being jerk.

I just can't help it.

I guess I'll have to fake it, 'til I make it... back to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment